Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Crayon Melting on Canvas

I think seeing the crayon melting canvas art was the fi thing that attracted me to Pinterest. I've had it pinned for forever and finally did it.
It's not quite as simple as it appears. It took me a little while to figure out how best to do it.

Steps:
Find crayons and a canvas. (I needed 23 crayons for each 8x10 canvas)
Use hot glue gun to glue crayons on canvas. Glue each crayon individually rather than placing them all on one line of glue.
Prop canvas up at an angle.
Point hair dryer at crayon tips until they begin to melt and drip. Experiment with the angle of the canvas and hairdryer.

Attempt #1
Patiently sat pointing hair dryer on low heat at crayons. Some crayons melted much faster than others.



 Attempt #2
Started on high heat, then switched to low heat when the crayons started melting.


Attempt #3
Used high heat the entire time while moving the hairdryer back and forth across the board.


Observations:
I used all Crayola crayons. Yet different colored crayons melt differently, regardless of how you hold the hairdryer.
The crayons will start to melt under the wrappers, causing the wrappers to darken. I didn't like this, but I'm not sure if there's a way around it.

Honestly, it was a fun project. My husband isn't too sure about it. He said it was a waste of crayons. However, he did like the green and yellow one - Packer colors.

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment