Wednesday, March 7, 2012

DIY Map Coasters

Chris and I have been living in our house for over 7 months and we still did not have coasters! I was determined to change that. After seeing a project on Pinterest where they took photos and modpodged them to canvases for wall decorations, I decided to experiment.

I bought a 24 pack of 4x4 Artist Loft canvas panels. They only had a 24 pack for about $12, but I had a 50% coupon on it. I only used 6 of them so I can use the other panels for other projects or to make more coasters once we visit more places.

The first step was to make a list of places we have taken trips to together. I searched at mapquest to find maps of the different places. I took a screen clipping of each, editing each map to 4x4 in Microsoft Word. I then printed each map in color and cut them out. After cutting each to size, I laminated the maps and cut exactly along the edges. This was the trickiest part because the laminating machine went completely crazy on me! I had to refeed the laminate multiple times. Sometimes the easiest steps take the longest!


After cutting them out, I modpodged the laminated maps to the canvas panels. I put the panels face down in order for the map to fully stick.


My maps were not all exactly 4x4 so the edges hung over the sides of the canvas panels. You can see in the picture on the left. After they dried, I trimmed the edges by running a scissor along each edge of the panel.

Once I had that done, it was time to put a nice finishing coat of modpodge on the top of each coaster. Since I was at work supervising the library while I was completing this project, I did not think to bring along a paintbrush. Therefore, I used a pen and my finger to spread the modpodge evenly over each map.

You can be generous on the amount of modpodge that you use. Make sure to spread it onto the sides so that the laminate edges turn smooth. As they dry, they will look like the picture on the right. No worries it dries to look like the picture below!


Once they have dried, you will have your coasters completed. I stacked them in a pile, tied a ribbon around them, and made a tag that said, "Oh the places we've been...and the places we'll go..." I then gave it to my husband. He loved it! Now when we host others, it can be a conversation starter about why we went to the various places on the coasters. I can't wait to travel more and add them to the stack. I hope to write on the back of them the dates and a brief description about each trip.
                                                                                                                                             --Lyzz

2 comments:

  1. Lyzz, I LOVE these! You inspire me to make adult crafts. Or at least to want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I really really love these (I know, I already saw them in person). I should make then for Jon and me....

    ReplyDelete